Tuesday, October 12, 2010

New England bike trip October 12, 1985

The morning started out cold, but it was dry--and I had plenty of warm clothes. I went downhill back to Gorham, then south down the east side of the Presidential Range. Great day of riding with lots of sunshine. Some moderate climbs (e.g. Pinkham Notch) and fun downhills. I bought some maple syrup and mailed it home to Colorado, to be used for Xmas gifts!


'Bout ready to start the day's ride.

Bowman Base Camp near Randolph, NH. October 12, 1985.



Presidential Range in full fall colors!

The sliver of white at right top center is Mt. Washington. October 12, 1985.



North of Conway, New Hampshire. October 12, 1985.


At Conway, New Hampshire I picked up some supplies, then headed off on a back road toward the Kancamagus Highway to find a campsite. Found one at Covered Bridge Campground and cooked me up a buncha chili and ate it w/ dinner rolls. The next day my plan was to ride "the Kanc," a 26-mile road over the White Mountains. That would put me over near Vermont...



Covered Bridge Campground, October 12, 1985.



General retrospective note: I am amused when re-reading my journal from '85 that things keep coming up like "pay phone" and "traveler's cheques". Weird little tidbits that definitely put a date-stamp on the stories. Oh, and the cars that appear in the pictures too…

No comments: